Promoting British Values
As part of our curriculum, we actively promote British values. The majority of this learning will be linked to our Personal Social Health and Economic Educational curriculum (Spiral Curriculum), our Religious Education syllabus and will be reflected through our Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural agenda. Topics will be covered age appropriately and in a format that pupils will understand.
As part of this programme of study pupils will:
- describe their own identities and the groups that they feel they belong to;
- recognise different identities and experiences;
- appreciate that identity consists of many factors;
- recognise that each person’s identity is unique and can change; and
- begin to understand the idea of stereotypes.
The teaching of British Values will focus on:
- Democracy – respect for democracy and support for participation in the democratic process;
- The rule of law – respect for the basis on which the law is made
- Equality – support for equality of opportunity for all
- Individual liberty – support and respect for the liberties of all within the law
- Mutual respect – respect for and tolerance of different faiths and religious and other belief